Antivirus 2009 is a new rogue virus that comes from the same origins as Antivirus 2008. It is advertised and displayed through several misleading websites.
You’ll see fake security warnings saying that you computer has been infected with malicious spyware, and then it will prompt you to click on their warning message to get rid of the spyware and viruses.
Once you click OK, Antivirus 2009 will be installed. It will then tell you that only way to get rid of all the malicious intruders is to buy their software program. All these warning messages can look very official, coming from sites like Google, or from your Internet Explorer or Windows.
These rogue viruses are typically not harmful to your system, but rather they use all sorts of forms of deceptive advertising and trickery to sell as many copies as possible. This means misleading websites that offer free computer virus scans. Once you accept their invitations for a free scan, Antivirus 2009 will be downloaded onto your computer. Of course, it is a fake security scanner, so DO NOT buy it.
There are several places to find some legitimate software programs that will remove Antivirus 2009. You can also try to remove Antivirus 2009 on your own manually which however is not recommended since you can damage your computer operating system.
Automatic removal is the recommended method to remove Antivirus 2009. The most trusted Antivirus 2009 remover is Spyware Doctor from PCTools. You can download the free version and perform a full system scan of your PC. When the Spyware Doctor detects the virus, you can get the full registered version and have it clean Antivirus 2009 and any remnants of it automatically.
A summary of the manual method of removing Antivirus 2009 follows below.
- There are three different steps that you need to follow to remove Antivirus 2009. On your keyboard press ’Alt+Ctrl+Delete’
- Then click on ‘Task Manager’.
- Find these two processes; AVP2009.exe and AntivirusPro2009.exe,
- Click ‘End Process’.
Continue to search for the malicious file of Antivirus 2009 which are as follows:
- C:\Program Files\AntivirusPro2009 –
- C:\Program Files\AntivirusPro2009\AntivirusPro2009.exe
- C:\WINDOWS\system32\AVP2009.cp – C:\Program Files\AVP2009\AVP20091.dat
- C:\Program Files\AVP2009\avp2009.dat C:\Program Files\AVP2009\avp2009.cpl
- C:\Program Files\AVP2009\AVP2009.exe
- C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\AntivirusPro2009.lnk
- C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\Desktop\AntivirusPro2009.lnk
- C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\Start Menu\Programs\AntivirusPro2009
- C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\Start Menu\Programs\AntivirusPro2009\AntivirusPro2009.lnk
- C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\Start Menu\Programs\AntivirusPro2009\Uninstall.lnk
Click start, then click search. You’ll want to type the above named in there and let your computer find them. When any are found, just delete them.
The next step in how to remove Antivirus 2009 from your computer is as follows.
- Click start, then click ‘run’ then type in ‘regedit’ then hit OK.
- This opens you registry editor.
- Then you want to scroll down until you find these registries to edit.
3.3 HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run “Antivirus Pro 2009″
3.4 HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run “Antivirus”
3.5 HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run “Antivirus”
While it is very possible to remove Antivirus 2009 on you own, it is only recommended that you try the manual removal only if you consider yourself an expert.
If you damage the registry it can cause more serious operating problems then Antivirus 2009 ever could.
If you’re inexperienced then buy yourself a software program that will automatically scan, find, and destroy all remnants of Antivirus 2009.
All you’ll do is find a legitimate antivirus software make such as PCTools’ Spyware Doctor, download their program, and run the scan feature. It will find all the files and registries of Antivirus 2009 and remove them automatically, thus ensuring that you don’t do further damage to your computer.